Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Pianovelle RP1 and the keys from middle and up do

Customer Question

I have a Pianovelle RP1 and the keys from middle B and up do not play at all. Keys from Middle B flat down all work as expected. What can be wrong?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, possibly a low or missing +5V supply to the non-functioning half (likely) and/or a failed limiting resistor (most likely). Of course, it can still be a wiring/connector issue (least likely).

If considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a multi-meter and soldering iron and have done some minor projects with each. I'm not an expert but can certainly follow directions using both.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Great on the DIY John!

Please locate the Keyboard Interface Board / 760995. De-solder at least 1 leg of resistors R9 and R12. Test each resistance which should read 10KΩ.

Check and re-fit connector CN2. Might as well do CN4.

Inspect for cold-solder on all solder joints.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like the board I am looking at is 315024. I assume it is very similar to 760995. It is located on the bottom side of the keyboard with CN2 connecting to the board that is under the higher keys and CN4 connects to the lower keys. R9 and R12 both measure close enough to 10K and refitting CN2 and CN4 is what I had done before contacting you, I did try it again though. I do not see any poor solder joints but I'm going to have a friend look at the solder joints as he is a retired electronic technician. Without having him look at the solder joints I tested it and it still has the same symptoms. While I have him look at the solder joints, what should I look at next?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Agree on the PCB# *****

Propose next check would be on IC2.

Would the schematic diagram serve your purpose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure my friend would benefit from the schematic. So far we have had no luck. He did re-solder a few connections but he said they didn't appear to be bad enough to cause the problem. He verified that those components measured within the tolerance.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi again John.

Please click HERE.

The schematic diagram is in a Portable Document Format (PDF) file and can be viewed in most web browser. Click on the link to open the file or right click then select “Save As…” to download the file. It would require Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent for this purpose.

Hope that the above service information may serve your purpose and would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept if so warranted (if haven't done so).

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

Were you able to download the schematics?