ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years' experience in installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

How about an electric Kimball organ? Ita a proentertainer.

Customer Question

How about an electric Kimball organ? Ita a proentertainer. when the thing comes on the sound is so loud.
Model M300
Serial #391557
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Does the loud sound seem like a hum as soon as you turn the organ on?

If so, it will require a service.

Let me know what ZIP area you are in and I can recommend a nearby servicer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does but I hope to repair it myself. I worked as an engineer for several years. Just not familiar with this.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well you might just have a bad connection somewhere. Turn the power off, and remove and replace every connector, and flip all the tabs back and forth a few times. You can use a pencil eraser and rubbing alcohol on them to clean the electronic contacts.

Over the years the brass and tin contacts and switches corrode, and the electrolytic capacitors dry up. Dried up capacitors can cause components like the rectifiers, resistors, regulators, and even transformers, to burn out. These faulty components can in turn cause the humming sound. The large electrolytic capacitors near the transformer are most likely to dry up or blow first.

You should also check that the power supplies are somewhere near the standard voltages of +-25V for the power amp, +-5V or +-12V for the logic sections.
Let me know how you get on.

Pete.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above, or even if you just want to say "thank you" :-)