Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 which was bought by my

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 which was bought by my brother most likely in the late 80's. I was looking at the Owner's manual and decided to try the transposer. When I did this, all the keys that could be used to raise the key stopped working, ie the 6th C# ***** the 6th F. Before this, all the keys were working.
Is this a hard thing to fix? Something a do it yourself-er could try? Does the piano have any value without fixing this problem?
Thanks,
Audrey
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. We can turn off the transpose function to see if that clears it up, I want you to try this first and tell me the results. While holding down [DEMO/SONG] and [PIANO/VOICE], press the C3 key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rusty,Thanks for looking at this. I don't have those particular keys. The controls are as follows:For the desired voice I have the following buttons: Piano 1 or 2; E Piano 1 or 2, Harpsichord 1 or 2, Celesta, Voices 1 or 2, or GuitarOther controls include:a master volume slider, a brilliance slider, and the following buttons: transposer/MIDI, tremolo, ensemble, and chorus.And then there are some accessory jacks on the back: headphones, aux out L/R, aux in L/R, and MIDI out/in.Any combination there for me to try?The owner's manual says that when the power is turned off, the instrument will automatically be returned to the normal key. I have powered the piano off and back on without getting back the keys.Audrey
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Audrey,

Are you sure it was the transpose that caused the problem? Could it have been bumped? When that set of keys is out, it normally means a ribbon came loose inside the piano, or the transpose was the straw that broke the camel's back in your tone generator.

It's not going to have much value without all of the keys working, due to its age. If the reset (turning it off) isn't working, there's a problem with your hardware. Unplug the keyboard, and wait one full minute. Try it again, this will reset the electronics, and hopefully jump start the bad electronics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rusty,I did as you suggested (ie unplugging the keyboard for more than a minute); the problem is still there. I am sure it is related to when a tried the transposer function.I was preparing for sale of the piano, and had a couple minutes previous to the loss, played all the keys to make sure they all worked. The 6 keys that stopped working are the 6 keys that can be used to raise the key; ie one holds the transposer button and press any of the keys between 6 C# ***** 6 F to raise the key.How difficult is it to open up the piano to get to the keyboard electronics? Does the piano have any worth as parts; if so how much would you think?I'm thinking since all the keys associated with the function went out, a short may have occurred?Thanks,
Audrey
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

It's actually more like a disconnect. The tone generator works with 7 notes in different octaves. The keys are attached to the tone generator in sections. Click here to see how to take apart a Clavinova. Look at the connection to that set of keys, and make sure everything is tight, and nothing is burned, or white powder around the capacitors where those keys connect to the tone generator.