Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I recently purchased a Roland VK8M sound module which life

Customer Question

I recently purchased a Roland VK8M sound module which for the life of me cant figure out why they never put a rotary control pedal jack on it. I have heard that I can use a midi solutions footswitch controller with it so I purchased it. This is the settings to do this from the VK8M manual.
General Purpose Controller 5 (Controller number 80) (Rotary Speed)
Status 2nd byte 3rd byte
BnH 50H vvH
n = MIDI channel number: 0H - FH (ch.1 - ch.16)
vv = control value: 00H - 7FH (0 - 127)
* When SUB KEYBOARD FUNCTION is OFF (p. 58), this is received on the channel
specified for CONTROL MIDI CH. (p. 54) (factory setting: channel 1).
* Not received when MIDI GENERAL CONTROLLERS SWITCH (p. 53) is OFF.
Actually this is a bunch of whatever to anyone that is not a midi master. All I want is the Sysex line I need to get this working F0 41 etc etc etc. I have the interface and software to do this from my laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Midi solutions tech is as clueless as the designers that did not inclube a footswitch on this unit! Thanks
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I think what's going on here is your midi channels. I'm seeing mention of channels 1-16, but let's take that a bit further.

When you're controlling midi, remember that each midi channel is a path to send another set of midi signals. Basically give each element its own channel, and the receivers will change as necessary. For your Midi Solutions, be sure to set that up on an unused midi channel. It's not difficult, just think each part one at a time, and assign the midi channels accordingly. Reading your question, it seems like you may have set up the basic midi, so go over your setup again, and double check that every path has a unique send and receive channel. As long as they match (send and receive), it will open 2 way communication between the devices that are listening in on that channel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still lost! With the info I provided cant you just give me the variables I need to type in: F0 41 11 etc. I believe all the info is there including what I need the pedal to do.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Getting into the SysEx is not any more complicated than setting up basic midi channels, but it will take some understanding. Click here. There are different examples of how to set up those numbers, see if you can get your system to work like one of these models. We'll adjust if necessary.