Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have A Tascam 122 Mk III I have not used in quite a while.

Customer Question

I have A Tascam 122 Mk III I have not used in quite a while. I turned it on yesterday - all the lights came on and it looked normal but none of the tape transport buttons would make the tape do anything. Play / FF / Rewind would not do anything. I tried several tapes so I know it's not the tape. Suggestions? Do I need to send it somewhere for repair?
Thanks for any thoughts you may have!
Glen in Raleigh NC
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

You might have a 'sticky' tape, one whose transport mechanism can only be moved by excessive force, effectively stopping any tape player from moving.

Try that set of operations, only without a tape - do the capstans move as they should, with no tape present?

- if they do move, then the tape is probably 'sticky'.

- if they don't move, you probably have a set of loose or perished drive belts inside the player. Either that, or you have a motor that has ceased to operate.

As for sending it somewhere for repair, or perhaps taking it someplace local to you for repair.... let me know your local zip code, and I will advise you further.