Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have just purchased the Tascam DP 32sd. From what I

Customer Question

I have just purchased the Tascam DP 32sd. From what I understand I will need certain programs for my computer so that it will master the imported songs loud enough so that when I burn it on CD and then play that CD on a CD player it will be loud enough so that I don't have to turn the volume to the max.
Which programs would those be,where do I purchase them and are there explanations as to how to properly use them? I believe that one of those programs is a limiter. Is that true?
Thanks for reading,
Paul
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Yes, a limiter is part of mastering, it's more of a compression unit with a limiter. It allows the frequencies to hit a ceiling before being stopped, so that the audio goes as high as possible without clipping. There are tons of programs out there, Pro Tools with Bluecat is what I use for mastering, but you shouldn't have to worry about that. Your DP32 has a mastering program built in.

Click here and look at page 15. You already have the hardware and software to master your recordings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is my problem. I also have the Tascam 24sd with built in CD player. After I recorded a song I followed the manual and also followed along with the David Wills video tutorial and used the mastering tools to master it. I then burnt the song onto CD. I played the burnt CD on a regular CD player but it just wasn't loud enough. I later found out that the mastering tools in the DP 24 just isn't capable of making a burnt CD that loud and that I would have to import the song into my computer and use some sort of limiter to make it even louder. I figured I would just use the 24 with the built in burner so that I wouldn't have to bother with trying to use a computer. I was wrong.
I also have the DP 32sd without the built in burner. So I figure that after I record with the 32 and I import the songs into the computer I will still have to use some sort of computer plug in limiter to make the song (that I will burn onto disc with my computer) loud enough to hear on my regular CD player. So the question is this: I have no idea of where to purchase this plug in limiter nor how to use it nor how I would then use it to burn the (hopefully) now louder song onto CD. I am very computer illiterate. So I need all the help that I can get.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I've had that problem with the all in one recorders as well. Click here. I am showing you this one because it's a platform, not a plugin, so this is all the software you will need. It also has a free trial. With this software, you can listen in real time, dial in your parametric EQ, then use the maximizer to get the most volume out of your songs.