Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a Roland SC880 and I play out with it at midied into

Customer Question

Hi - I have a Roland SC880 and I play out with it at midied into my keyboard. It sounds odd to me, but at a certain venue, my SC880 won't share info with my keyboard / I have to set it back to factory settings or turn it on / off mess with it 20 ways to get it to work. Otherwise / other places, it's fine. Is this a coincidence and I have a real issue or is there a power supply issue? Also what type of power supply should I be using - I no longer have the factory cord. Thank you - desperate :(
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm a sound engineer, and chasing "ghosts" in the power can be a bit of a headache. If power goes up a midi line, it will confuse the midi signal and you'll have to mess with it to get it back. It's basically like exiting and restarting the process.

To deal with dirty power, you should plug into a transformer. This cleans up the power and conditions it for our audio gear. The popular model is a Furman, click here. This is on top of all of my racks, and it gets rid of the line noise that gets absorbed due to dirty power. Give one of these a shot, it should fix the problem. Since it works at other venues, I have my sights on dirty power at the venue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I currently use a Furman Power Factor Pro but it's rather old. Is there a certain setting or way I can see if it's not working properly?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Well, do you generally plug into the same power source for both devices? Power conditioners make a loud noise when they go bad. Have you tried another power outlet at that venue? Stages will usually have 2-3 circuits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try that. I go wall / power strip / Furman.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

The Furman is supposed to take the place of the power strip. Power strips are wired sometimes backwards, poorly, etc... Most of them are cheaply made. Use the Furman as your power strip, and you will have the best chance of solving the problem.