MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Customer Service
Experience:  I repair the electronic end of most amplifiers and fix broken speaker systems.
11519491

I spilled a tablespoon of soup on the A6-C7 keys of my

Customer Question

I spilled a tablespoon of soup on the A6-C7 keys of my Yamaha P-95. It was a tiny bit, but some of it must have slipped between the keys. Now, every single C and every single F# ***** the keyboard has lost it's touch sensitivity. In addition, the F6 and F#6 keys both sound an F#.
This issue disappears when I turn the touch sensitivity off on the whole keyboard (but that makes the piano basically worthless).
Can you please walk me through how to fix this? I'm kind of devastated about it.
Thanks
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am Tech Michael and will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

Is it like the keys are sticking a bit?

Or do they sound different?

Thank You,

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The keys are not sticking. They do not "sound different".All of the Cs and all of the F#s have lost their touch sensitivity. Meaning they are the same volume no matter how hard you hit the note.

Hi, thanks for that. This could have happened by even one key or even the wiring pads if they get humidity or sticky substances on them it can change the tone.

Its going to need to come apart to clean the key switches and the circuit board and ribbon cable ends.

That will fix this problem ;-)

I will help when you are ready to work on this.

I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm ready to work on this problem, thanks

Ok, first a good thing to do is have either a can of compressed air fro cleaning these things or a compressor to blow out the unit to dry it once its cleaned.

But there are some Philips head screws on the under side you need to remove, they can be tricky to locate for some.

Tech Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will buy a can of compressed air fro tomorrow and get back to you

sounds good I will be here,

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you please give me an overview of the process, how long it should take start to finish and a probability of success?

Hi sure,

the chances are almost 100% sucess, as this is a common problem and can even happen if the unit is left in a damp location for too long.

So it hasn't really damaged anything but rather is a condition of sticky moisture on the internals we will clean and it should be as good as new. If by some chance you spilled more than 1 Tablespoon and it needs a key or something I can help you get that as well.

As for the process, all you really need to do is remove the screws and the cover will lift off so you can see the parts that got wet with sopl lol;-)

No worries. But please rat eat this tie so your question remains with me and cant end or time out abruptly as sometimes happens, no cost for rating or for the additional help.

Have a good night.

Tech Mike