Aric, Electronic Musical Instrument Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a 1970 rowe ami mm4 that has been setting while

Customer Question

Hello i have a 1970 rowe ami mm4 that has been setting for a while supposedly working when stored.i just got it a hear a loud click in the top up by speakers when turned on but doesnt do anything else. I immediately turn it off so it doesnt damage or blow something.Any suggestions
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, When was the last time the Rowe was re-capped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry but i dont know what that is.This is all new to me.But i am very mechanical.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

These units have large power supply filter capacitors that are directly in-line on the power supply circuit. Over 10 years of age these capacitors begin to drift out of spec and after 25-30 years are about half the capacity that they were. When they fail, they usually do so all at once, creating a short circuit condition to the power supply transformer and will not allow the necessary circuits to receive their full operating voltage. Re-capping is routine maintenance in older electronics and if that has not been done here, that is the first thing I would check. Additionally, all moving parts in the juke box need to be service in way of cleaning and re-lubricating. If this is not something you've done previously, then it's best left in the hands of a professional to go through and test voltages, caps and also inspect all mechanical parts for proper operation. I'm sorry there's not a quick fix here, but the unit does require service.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.