Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

How do you fix sticking keys on a yamaha digital baby grand

Customer Question

how do you fix sticking keys on a yamaha digital baby grand piano?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The right answer to your question would depend upon how you wish to go about the problem, and whether the problem is limited (at present) to only one key, and also whether that key basically works, but does not come up again when pressed.

Sticky keys are caused by two things, I think it's safe to say: one is getting the keyboard dirty with sticky substances (food should never be gotten near either a laptop or a good keyboard instrument, of course) or else the keyboard mechanism getting sticky internally in a sort of self-generated way owing to use of the wrong lubricant that decays with time, etc.

The other cause is simply defective or broken key mechanism parts.

If it is many keys, the keyboard would have to be extensively disassembled, diagnosed, and treated. That could be troublesome to do yourself.

If it is only one key, then doing it yourself could be managed, I think, without too much trouble. Tell me how the one key acts or doesn't act, if that's the extent of the problem, please.

Most likely, in extreme summary, you need to remove the key (the part you actually touch and press on when playing) and then examine what can be seen and sensed of that key's exposed mechanism, and either clean then lubricate, or replace what parts show a problem.