ITPeter
ITPeter, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years' experience in installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a kurzweil pc88 that needs some help. It powers up

Customer Question

I have a kurzweil pc88 that needs some help. It powers up and plays for like 3 minutes then the lcd display starts to fade and it eventually cuts out and dies. I have it all open and was cleaning up the keys. Im guessing this is a capacitor issue maybe? Im a descent solderer if a part needs swapping. Any ideas?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Yes, your symptoms do indicate a power supply problem, and faulty capacitors are the most likely cause of this.
Have a look at the round electrolytic capacitors and check if any appear to be swollen or bulged. If they are, then replace them.
Even if they do not appear to be swollen they may still be faulty or may have leaked their fluid, so ideally all electrolytic capacitors in the power supply circuitry should be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was unable to find a circuit diagram for the power supply/io board. The tiny one labeled C19 is a bit darker than the rest. I'm actually leaning towards a poor connection near the AC plug. I gave that a little tap as it was fading and the thing lit back up. It looks like the previous owner may have done a repair around there as there is some glue all over the wire going to the back of the AC plug. I'll likely resolder both contacts on that part before diving any deeper into blown caps.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know how you get on.