Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Kurzweil PC3. the backlit display has stopped working.

Customer Question

I have a Kurzweil PC3. the backlit display has stopped working. Everything else is playing fine. Is this by chance a loose ribbon connector or the like?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering if Freddy M is still working with me. Haven't heard anything in a while.
Thanks!
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, did the backlighting dimmed over time? ...did the issue suddenly manifested itself?
Still, most displays of this type are VFDs (vacuum florescent display) and requires an heater voltage straight from the power supply's transformer. The often cause of no display would be a cold solder issue (loose connection / heat related) on any or both of the heater terminals of the VFD. Almost always, the heater terminals/pins are the very first and the last of the pin strip. Try re-soldering these pins and thereafter carefully check for the presence/consistency of said heater voltage.
Of course, it is equally possible for a loose connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not dim over time. The keyboard was transported via truck and then Fed Ex. When it left on the truck it was working fine. When it returned via Fed EX it was not working. That's what made me think that a connector was loose. Do you have a schematic or shop manuel for this keyboard by chance?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the additional information.
And unfortunately, no; only for the PC2/PC2X.
Would you perhaps consider a second opinion? Hopefully another member has the PC3 version.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid I'm going down a blind alley here and don't want to waste your time. I'm so sorry. Thank you for trying, though.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Let me re-open the question.
Still, good luck with the PC3.
This is not an Info Request.