Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I just replaced the belts in by Tascam 234. In reassembling,

Customer Question

I just replaced the belts in by Tascam 234. In reassembling, I seem to have misaligned/misassembled the cam mechanism**. do you have a picture or can you provide a written explanation describing the proper assembly of the cam mechanism?
Thanks you!
Steve
** I am referring to the device that lowers and lifts the tape heads.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The proper belt replacement procedure is offered in this file: http://www.mediafire.com/view/r6pveq0tj820k4k/Tascam_234_Belt_Replacement.pdf But for the cam misalignment, you may need a service manual. I cannot find a source for one after some searching, though many postings mention it. This does mention not only a belt replacement, but disassembly in detail and some things about the cam mechanism etc.: http://www.thegreatbear.net/audio-tape/tascam-234-4-track-cassette-capstan-belt-replacement/ In general, remember that the cam mechanism to some extent has to be in the appropriate position, when you reassemble it, for it to work thereafter. So if the last operation before power-down was to lower the tape heads, then the mechanism should be reassembled in the lowered-tape-heads position.Also, if you were handling electronics inside the device carelessly (or, while wearing wool clothing or any kind of sweater, especially) you may have transfered static discharge into circuits, which could make control circuitry act strange or cease functioning... I hope not, but if the circuits that control the motors seem to be at fault, that could be the problem. If it were the problem, then you would need to leave your device, unplugged, for several days, to let it more or less recover... if it ever does (sometimes static discharge damage is permanent.) And, if sensors of the position of the cam, or of the tape heads, are disconnected or connected up wrong, you could also make the mechanism inoperative. So my last piece of advice is, be careful about all the details and every component no matter how minor it may seem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russell, thank you for your response. I had previously discovered the Online documents that you provided. Unfortunately, they do not provide the insight that I need. Though the text within one doc warns of potential problems, it doesn't adequately explain proper assembly.Thank you for your help, but unfortunately I'm no better off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS I own a service manual which primarily addresses maintenance and provides electrical diagrams etc. it doesn't provide the help I need.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Aside from the advice I've already offered, I unfortunately have no other information, esp. not anything specific to the model in question. I have Opted Out, opening the case to any other Expert in this category who might have something to add (from, for instance, personal experience with this very model) about the Tascam 234 and its mechanism for raising and lowering the tape heads.
Thanks for your patience so far, and good luck.