Freddy M
Freddy M, Technician
Experience:  Been working with instruments for the last 10 years.
15852642

I HAVE TASCAM DM4800,PREVIOUSLY WORKING FINE. NOW GIVING "NO

Customer Question

I HAVE TASCAM DM4800,PREVIOUSLY WORKING FINE. NOW GIVING "NO CABLE" ERROR.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried a different cable?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did try a diff cable
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
What kind of cable are you using? Is it the same error with both? How old is the Tascam?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tascam DM 4800
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes NO cable error with both cables
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
How old is it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean cable or tascam itself
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
The tascam.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5yrs
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
Darn, that would be out of warranty even with an extended one normally then. What kind of cable are you using? Does the port on the tascam feel loose?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not loose.
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
What kind of cable are you using?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FireWire 800 - 400
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
Thank you, ***** ***** have another port on the computer you can test with? Can you test a different computer for me? Do you have any other FireWire devices you can test with the computer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
No to which question? I asked you 3. No matter what we need to test at the very least 1 of those 3 options.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did test with window xp and also Mac Pro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still same error message
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
Same message on both computers and with both cables? That would be an extremely bad sign.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
That does not answer my question was it the exact same message on both computers and with both cables?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was same error message on both computer. The sound card shows ok but no connection between the board and the computer
Expert:  Freddy M replied 1 year ago.
.
You mean the card on the computers show ok right? Otherwise you would need to tell me how you are testing the board on the tascam. This is actually the reason I had you test another computer to rule out the card. Another cable rules out the cable itself and the port not being loose on the tascam rules out the board. That unfortunately only means the board inside the tascam the firewire card is built into is failing and needs to be replaced. If you can try using CAT5 instead as this part can be expensive, Call(###) ###-####ext. 617 to order the part. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Tascam.
.