Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I need an .ins file 3 Kurzweil 2600xs...any

Customer Question

I need an .ins file for Sonar 3 for my Kurzweil 2600xs...any hope? Thanks for the offer...
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
It's possible that you don't need one. You may need to check all connections, then insert a soft synth using the Insert Synth function in Sonar... that may be all you need to do.
Some software handles 'device recognize and install' functions. It's rare, but does occur... and Sonar software may be an example. Try it.
(PS: What Windows type do you have, that needs a Kurzweil 2600xs .INI file for? at least I can tell from that bit of information, what other Windows versions I should seek for one in, given that I might assume it isn't present in yours....)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7. It lists mostly Roland machines, the occasional Yamaha, and 'general midi.' I can't believe I'm going to have to create an .ins file with 4000 sounds mapped...? Someone has to have done this...what do you mean about 'insert a software synth'? I'll look for such a function and try it, but I'm new to recording (not to music) and not sure whether the darn thing is going to use the sounds from the Kurzweil to record or the various 'soft' synths out there. These things used to be called 'Instrument Definition Files,' with the extension .INS, and there is STILL an 'Import' button (as well as an Export button) on the device screen for them in the newest SONAR, so they have to still be around....it's just the hardware synth I have (though brilliant) is very old...Mark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS. For instance, the 'General Midi' .ins file I can map in SONAR has 1-127 sounds, and I can map to Channels 1-32 with it. I can also 'Export' it as an .INS file (just a text file with sound names and some easy-looking scripting).
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Insert A Software Synth is (more or less by that name) a function in Sonar software of various versions, if not of your version of Sonar. I will conduct a search for a suitable .INI file with that information. Thanks.