Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a JV-880 that will not read the PCM card. What can I

Customer Question

I have a JV-880 that will not read the PCM card. What can I do? The LCD screen also just recently became very blurred on the right side of the screen. Please help.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, try another PCM card even if just to eliminate it as a potential suspect.Still, the only easy usable approach would be to attempt a careful cleaning of the PCM card slot contacts using compressed air or better yet, plastic safe / non-staining DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent. On the otherhand, the described "...LCD screen...blurred on the right side..." would point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly:• low or missing B+ (least likely);• cold solder and/or flat cable/connector issues (likely);• faulty display unit P/N DM-047Z-7BL7 (15029505) (most likely).All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even a soldering iron?Equally important, could you make use of the repair/Service Notes?Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.