Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I purchased a new Hammond SK2 in Nashville last year and shipped

Customer Question

I purchased a new Hammond SK2 in Nashville last year and shipped it to our band in the Philippines.
We never got a chance to try it out until only two weeks or so ago.
Since I'm currently visiting in Vancouver, my brother asked me to contact your technical support people to help him get to the bottom of why it distorts our Hartke KM100 amp despite its 100-watt power rating.
Do we need to get a Leslie for it?
Thanks.
Louie Villanueva
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Depending upon the actual case, the type of distortion in sound produced, you might need to lower the volume (if the distortion is 'buzzing' or 'clipped'), or you might need other measures if it's another sort of distortion (e.g. check the plugs - the ground or 'shield' on the cables must be connected too in order for the electronic impulses that make up the sound are propagated along the cables properly, and in order for said electronic impulses not to affect each other e.g. where the cables cross each other.

Or, it could be that you simply have a defective (internally, electronically) electronic device, that *is* producing distorted sound regardless of other factors, transmission cables, etc. To test with e.g. an auxiliary headphone in the 'monitor' and no other equipment attached to it, would help to determine this.
If the equipment (the Hammond SK2) is indeed defective, then you may be luckier than you think, if the warranty length is the standard 1-year-from-purchase, and if is still less than a year from purchasing it.

Distortion may, lastly, be caused by mild feedback, perhaps, of the sound produced to a microphone or other 'source' part of the device.