Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I need some help with my new Soundcraft Si Expression 2.

Customer Question

Hi, I need some help with my new Soundcraft Si Expression 2. I'm not a tech savvy engineer but have enough knowledge to get a FOH and monitor mixes happening. I want to do live recording to a Zoom digital recorder out of the desk Post fader but for the life of me I can't work it out. I have searched for videos and tutorials online regarding matrix mixes but there is precious little available and what there is assumes some previous knowledge in this area which I lack. I need step by step instructions. Any help would be awesome. Cheers...
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
What input on the Zoom are you trying to connect to the outputs on the Soundcraft device?
There might possibly be some need to assign inputs and outputs appropriately, but there's also a matter of whether the inputs are compatible with the outputs. I'd recommend considering that.
Also, with whatever output from the Soundcraft device, you must consider whether you are actually recording from the proper input(s) on the Zoom device.
But are you trying, simply, to get several inputs to the Soundcraft device mixed into the output(s) of it? is that the part you are uncertain of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell
The zoom has 2 XLR inputs and I have assigned 2 analogue XLR outputs from the Soundcraft to go into those. Outputs 15 and 16 go to FOH so I assigned outputs 13 and 14 to go to the zoom from tOTEM mix 14 for a L& R stereo Post Fade mix. All I get is distortion. I've knocked the Zoom input level to .01 and pulled down the master fader but it's still a distorted mess. That seemed a logical way to do it ro me but clearly it doesn't work. All I want is a feed from the desk to the Zoom to get a stereo mix of my band from gigs.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Amplification levels being too high can lead to distortion, yes. But you clearly have thought of that.
Is there any chance that feedback is a factor in the hookup? e.g. is there a microphone at one end, and speakers at the other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We seem to just be spinning our wheels here. There clearly is a way to take a post fader stereo mix out of the desk to a recording device and I just need a step by step by step on the process for the Soundcraft Si Expression 2. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If the Zoom input level at .01 causes distortion, try it at 1.0 instead, just once.
It seems to me that you do already know how to do the post-fader mix and assign it to an output. I am inclined to agree that this inquiry could be approaching futility.
Is there any uncertainty about your knowing how to do the post-fader mix, or assigning it to an output? If you connect your Zoom to an input you seem to have *not* assigned output to, does that result in distortion?
I'm just asking so as to cover all the possible options in this situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a post fader mix assigned to anologue outputs 13 and 14. From those outputs I have 2 XLR leads plugged into the two XLR inputs on the Zoom and have selected those as the inputs on the device, and disabled the mics.The zoom is getting signal but it's all distorted. I have tried pulling back the master on the post fader sub mix so it's not so hot AND lowered the input on the Zoom. Looks good on the Zooms VUs but it just comes out distorted on playback. I don't know how to explain it better than that.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Aside from either device being defective in hardware, or one having incompatibility with the other ... I don't have any explanation either, I'm sorry to say. It sounds as if it should work.
Try the output from 13 and 14 on some other recording device, however crude and unworthy of the final mastering quality... just anything.
Try recording on the Zoom with those inputs, from some other source.
That way you can confirm whether both devices are working as far as those ports (output of one, input of the other) are concerned.