Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Tascam dr 05 recorded with lav mic and extra long cord to recorder.

Customer Question

Tascam dr 05 recorded with lav mic and extra long cord to recorder. Sound is unusable Sounds choppy not smooth
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the sound is better with a shorter cord (try it, at least for a test) then you may need not to use that particular long cord or extension.

Why it would make the sound choppy or unstable: possibly there's a weak spot in it, one that has been bent too many times... or the connection at the ends is not firm, owing to a slight tension?... and the varying resistance through a weak point in it, or through the ends, causes variation in the signal strength, and thus the uneven sound.

Long cords must be of high quality. And both ends should be firmly seated and without tension on them from the stretch of cord. Also, the ends should be clean... wipe the metal off with a clean dry high-quality cloth, if not sure.

As for other factors: if (somehow) the Tascam, or the recorder, are being supplied with unstable or surging power, then that could make for an unstable recording. A surge protector, and turning Off a local air conditioner especially if on the same power circuit, could help with that a lot.
And also, if any device is overloaded - particularly a digital sound device, or a sound card in a computer - then it tends to suffer drop-outs, like the classical example of Max Headroom's voice for instance... it stutters, or has very brief intervals of silence in it. That's typical of overloaded digital processing of sound. I'm not sure this is applicable to what you describe, which may not match that sort of sound defect at all.

Also... this might not be worth mentioning... there might the Automatic Gain Control somewhere, and variations in volume level might produce compensation from the AGC, trying to flatten it out, which could result in an uneven sound. I don't have any idea whether this could possibly be applicable to your setup, but it's perhaps just worth mention, so that you can consider all possible factors that might contribute to the problem.