Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My function button does not appear to be working on mycasio

Customer Question

my function button does not appear to be working on mycasio previa px850
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I suggest that you first try blowing compressed air into the function button.
It may not be the button itself, that needs replacing, you see - it may just have gotten a little bit of dirt or corrosion into its finer workings.
Unfortunately, the Reset operation for this keyboard, involves holding down the function button (and one of the two highest keys on the keyboard) while turning the Casio device On. It can be tried... but if the function button isn't working, that won't work, needless to say.
After that... if it appears that the lack of response to the function button is not owing to the button, but rather the circuitry that would respond is frozen up, or non-responsive.
Let me know what you think, from what you have observed... and let me know the age of your Casio PX850, please, measured from its date of purchase. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if the reset is working or not. I feel like there is some trick I am missing. I hold the function key and then simultaneously hold one of the piano keys that select a keyboard sound, and the sound doesn't change. The metronome doesn't seem to work, either.The metronome button doesn't seem to work, either. I sprayed plastic safe contact cleaner into both buttons.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, I would say you have a circuitry problem, not a button/switch problem... unless, of course, you think that you have (or anyone has) spilled food, crumbs, anything of that sort, into the buttons at any time. Those can be a real nuisance, and permanently deactivate some keys. Pizza crumbs, and cracker crumbs, are particularly bothersome from what I've seen.
How old is your Casio PX850 ? measured from its year of purchase.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 1yr old.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Less, or more, than 1 year from purchase date?
This is important: if still less, by even one day (once you report it to Casio as defective-within-warranty), than one full calendar year since purchase, then in that case, it is still covered by warranty, and Casio should repair it for you for free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked. It's actually more like 1.5yrs.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Nonetheless, if you want it to work properly again, you may have to take it to a Casio Authorized Service Center... but expect to have to pay for the repairs. It might be good to get an estimate, before committing to repairing it, in case it turns out to be more than you would think worth while.
Depending upon your state, here's a list of such service centers - organized by state, as I said:
https://www.casio.com/support/musicservicecenters
If this answers your question adequately, please rate my Answer, so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.