Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

HiWe have a Roland EP7-II Keyboard. The original Keyboard

Customer Question

Hi
We have a Roland EP7-II Keyboard. The original Keyboard assembly failed when the pink epoxy glue "melted" through the keyboard components.
Roland has kindly supplied a new keyboard assembly (through The Rockshop NZ") at cost price.
My troubles are that the new keyboard assembly is a bit different to the old one. The Chassis mounts are slightly different dimensions, but I have managed to adapt it to fit (I can no longer put the bottom plate on, but can live with that). The 16 and 20 pin ribbon cables are ok, but the 16 pin is too short to reach the PCB board. By positioning the Key Assy so that I can plug both the 16 and 20 pin Ribbon cables in, I do not get any sound from the keyboard (the Demo and Recorded sounds still work, so power etc is ok).
ID # ***** the box for the new Key Assy - SK-7P76-A
Any ideas?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
You might want to get a ribbon cable extender, by the sound of it.
This would be a ribbon cable with the identical number of wires (16-pin in this case) and identical jacks or 'ends'... but, with male (pins) jacks at both ends.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Russell
I will certainly have to get a ribbon extender as part of the solution, however I am able to plug both ribbon cables in by removing PCB board from its mounts as a temporary test measure. I still get no sound from any of the keys in this instance (as noted, I am able to play recorded and demo files, proving that the power/PCB board are operating properly).
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that not only is the chassis mount different, but the electronics of the new keyboard / part, are not fully compatible with your Roland device's exact model number.That would explain lack of function. Double-check the part # ***** the chassis, versus the old keyboard part's chassis-marked part number, and see if they differ a bit, possibly by revision level (the letter at the end, first rev. being A, second rev. being B, etc.) Unless, of course, the chassis not being screwed on would affect that. It might. Try wiring (temporarily!) the chassis of the new keyboard part, to the mounts (e.g. by a screw holding a wire or clip down) where it would be mounted. A ground connection (chassis connection) of that sort, might be necessary for signals to propagate properly... without a ground, signal voltages would be 'floating', as it were - without reference. This can make signal voltages not transmittable, which would thus also explain the apparent 'deadness' of the keyboard, to the rest of the device. Let me know what you find out - and, if this completes the question as far as you are concerned, please rate my Answer - favorably - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks.