MusicTech14
MusicTech14, Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience in service & support of music instruments
60974588

After installing a 250mb atpi zip drive in my boss br8 although

Customer Question

after installing a 250mb atpi zip drive in my boss br8 although the drive seems to be functioning properly, the console dose not seem to recognize the presence of the drive. thescreen reads "drive error" then says "no disc" please help .***@******.***
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  MusicTech14 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. Did you set the jumper on the zip drive to the "Master" position?
The jumper area is the six pins located between the data connection and the power connection. The jumper should be placed vertically across the two pins closest to the power connector.Let me know if that solves the issue, or if you need more help.
I've located detailed instructions for installing the zip drive, that shows both the jumpers and how to properly install the shielding. If you are still having issues, it may be useful to go through these instructions step by step to make sure everything is as it should be.I hope I have satisfactorily answered your question. Please let me know if you need any more information or clarification on this issue.
http://www.olywa.net/blame/mwn/br8-250.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its trying to work its clicking and saying "drive busy"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i add a second jumper i get different results on each of the other options but niether is good
The jumper setting does not appear to be the issue. The clicking you hear is the drive heads trying to align themselves. It is an indication of either a bad disk, or a bad drive. Unfortunately Iomega had a problem with drives going bad, which in turn would damage the disks. The issue became known as the "Click of Death"If the drive is new, but the disk had been used in a drive that went bad, then it is likely just a bad disk. If the drive is something you bought used then it may be a bad drive.
I have to run to an appointment right now. But rest assured, I will respond to any further questions tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have tried now a dozen disks do they go bad over time, or should i figure the machine is simply worn out?
If it is not a new drive, then it is most likely the drive and not the disks. The disk media is made of pretty much the same material as floppy disks and cassette tapes. So they can wear out, or get erased if exposed to magnets. But if you click on the highlighted text that said "Click of Death" in my previous reply, you will see an article that describes this particular drive failure and how it was perceived to be very common with zip drives. There are a number of things that can go wrong inside the drive, such as wear and tear or bent guides on the read/write head that can throw off the head alignment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This drive was advertised as brand new,i will try to return it.I have been running this machine hard for 10 years it may just be fried.I will keep trying.My current project is time sensitive and im under pressure to get it out. i had to buy another machine.Thankyou for your efforts.