Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I am having issues with my Yamaha Motif 6, turns on but screen is blan

Customer Question

I am having issues with my Yamaha Motif 6, turns on but screen is blank. I turned it on a few times before and it powered up normally, but then after playing any notes or clicking a control panel button, the control panel lights shut off (not the led the red ones) and the keyboard becomes unresponsive.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:
• dead backup 3.3V battery (least likely);
• connector issues fon the DM board and/or on the other boards connected to it (likely);
• low, missing and/or intermittent voltage +5, +/-12 & +15 (most likely).
All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.
I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.
Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, you may need access to and familiarity with the use of a multimeter and even perhaps a soldering iron.
Equally important, could you make use of the repair / Service Manual?