MusicTech14, Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience in service & support of music instruments

How to use the Yamaha GCT1 Tuner?

I have a Yamaha GCT1 Clip on Chromatic Tuner. The instructions regarding the "Pitch" is vague. I want to use it to tune my guitar and it says to press PITCH to adjust the A4 from 430-45 (1Hz steps) but does not specify if that is for guitar. How do I adjust the pitch for guitar?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  MusicTech14 replied 4 years ago.

The pitch setting you are referring to is a calibration. For standard tuning it should always be set to 440. You would only change it if you had some reason to not tune to the standard pitch. For example, if you were playing along with a piano that was tuned slightly sharp or flat, or with tape recording where the playback speed did not match the recording speed (which would affect the playback pitch)

So basically, set it to 440 and forget about it. You should almost never need to change it.

When you play a string, the tuner should show what note is being played and whether it is sharp or flat. Adjust the tuning on the guitar so that it shows the right note for the string you are playing, and fine tune it so that it is not showing as sharp or flat.
Standard tuning for a guitar is E A D G B E - going from the low (top) string to high string.