Tyler, M.M., CAGO
Tyler, M.M., CAGO, Professional Musician
Experience:  20 years training & experience. Familiar with a variety of instruments.

Technics PCM digital piano PX6 Middle E sounds much louder

Technics PCM digital piano PX6

Middle 'E' sounds much louder than other notes. Annoying. Is this normal or can it be 'tamed'?

Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Tyler, M.M., CAGO replied 4 years ago.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button before leaving this page. I am not credited for my time unless this button is pressed. Thanks!

Hi, welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question!

Can this be tamed? Yes. Can you fix it yourself? Possibly, but you may need to seek a technician out for repairs. What's happened is the velocity sensor in this note has gone bad and it now reads all inputs at the maximum volume level, like you are playing it as hard as possible. Normally digital pianos/keyboards have a contact strip or individual key contacts that measure the pressure played in order to have different levels of volume, to mimic what would happen on an acoustic piano.

There is a chance that there's some dirt or debris which is interfering with the signal of this note. Try repeatedly playing the problem note for about a minute at a high rate of speed to dislodge anything. Also try spraying some canned air underneath and between that key. If the problem goes away then you will likely need a technician to repair or replace the contact. This is a common problem and usually affects older instruments. Technics has been out of business for several years now so if you need a technician make sure and ask to see if they will need any parts that may not be available. Best wishes!

Once I have answered your question, please press ACCEPT if our conversation is complete as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept does not charge you again it just credits me for my work. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Please press either Accept or Reply before leaving this page so I know how to proceed. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!