Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Is there a controller that I can operate a 240 VAC 3 phase

Customer Question

Is there a controller that I can operate a 240 VAC 3 phase 12KW heater on 480 VAC 3 phase
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: They just moved the machine it is a parts washer so the heating elements are immersion heaters. I just started working there this week and found out what they intended on doing . The 240 VAC 12 KW heater if operated the way it is with just a contactor. It will almost triple in KW size unless wired in series which would then drop it down to about 4.5KW.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Thats what I was Hired for
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Thats it I was wondering if PWM scr controll would keep me from turning the heater elements cherry red and shortening their life.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) In order to reduce the LINE voltage from 480 volts down to a LOAD voltage of 240 volts, you need a step-down transformer along with an over-current protection device.

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 days ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

Any other questions?