Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Was outside using hedge clippers and cut through the

Customer Question

Was outside using hedge clippers and cut through the extension cord. It sparked caught a tinch on fire and turned black. At that time the GFCI outlet in my kicker popped and started making a repetitive clicking sound. After about a minute it stopped. This phenomenon didn't trip my circuit breaker tho. But it took out 3 outlets. The one it was plugged into and the one on the other side of the wall back to back with it and one on the other side of the room. We went through all the circuit breakers switched em off then back on. I reset the button in the gfci outlet and while inspected else where heard it pop again while a light that was turned on in one of the outlets that was working upon the previous inspection flickered then nothing. The gfci outlet in the kictchen when reset does work but when I test it with my receptacle tester it says hot and neutral contacts interchanged. The outlet where the extension cord was plugged into comes up hot contact not connected as well as the one on the other side of the wall they share. Even after I changed the socket we're the damaged plug was plugged in. The socket in the wall with the light that flickered says
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Well the house is 100 years old. Had a new circuit breaker box put in bout 8-10 years ago. It just happened earlier this evening.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on if that's possible. I'm a quick study but I know my limits. Was mostly concerned if I should be concerned
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just all 3 sockets are dead. I was just confused as to why the kicker gfci popped but that outlet still works
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 days ago.

you could have had some arcing in the GFI and outlets also as you see it burned on the extension cord the same may have happened along the outlets where it corroded it some to make the short continue.......what you'll want to do is make sure to change all the receptacles and inspect for any burns along the wire........sever and re-strip if necessary then use you're outlet tester insure the proper connection........this should resolve things if not please let me know

Thank you

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 7 days ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie