Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I removed the cover of my circuit breaker box ( story) and

Customer Question

Hi so I removed the cover of my circuit breaker box (long story) and the second the final screw was out everything in my apartment shut off and wouldn't turn back on for quite some time after the cover was back on
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: I turned all the switches on and off a few times and then sat down in defeat. Then all of a sudden after one more try before giving up everything turned on. Should I be concerned? Do I have anything to worry about? Why did everything shut off?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Electrician will figure it out. Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: There is no more work to do.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 days ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Let me review your question.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 days ago.
The box cover acts as a means of securing the breakers to the buss. My first thought is that your main breaker may have a corrosion issue and isn't making a good contact. The only other possibility is a loose wire connection on the main breaker. Check visually the connection end of the breaker for signs of arcing or heat marks.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Nothing visually looks wrong. My main concern is that having to turn everything on and off multiple times either ended up messing something up
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Everything was fine before I removed the cover
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 days ago.
If multiple circuits are affected the problem is the main breaker or on the utility's wiring. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? You can test to pinpoint exactly where the issue is.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't think so? Is that something that I should have? Sorry I don't know too much about this stuff.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 days ago.
Tester are available at any home center for around $20.00. with cover off the testing is very easy.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Well the cover is back on now..
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I thought that would make everything turn back on
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 days ago.
You have an issue that will only get worst if left unattended. From our conversation I think you need to call an electrician to make the corrections.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I was hoping you weren't going to say that ha! Okay thanks. I'll have to find a way to get money together to do that. Thanks though
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 days ago.

You're welcome. Get it checked ASAP.