Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I'm rewiring a 100 year old frame house that the existing

Customer Question

I'm rewiring a 100 year old wood frame house that the existing wire has been damaged by rodents. I was going to run MAC cable along the web of the lap siding on the bottom. I was going to put a seal tight jb at each room and penetrate the wall there. I can't use existing wiring in the walls cause its staple.Would running it on top of baseboard and penetrate the wooden walls under the plugs and switches be permissible.Any suggestions.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Are you referring to MAC cable as Metal Clad cable (MC)?

2) Will the cable be installed on the exterior framing of the home?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

1) Metal Clad cable is only allowed in dry conditions since it is not weather rated cable. It is a code violation to install MC cable on the exterior.

2) Also a code violation to install MC cable where subject to physical damage.

3) I recommend to install EMT metal conduit with compression fittings along with type "THWN" conductors on the exterior. EMT is code compliant for weather rated conditions.