ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I am running 4/0 4/0 4/0 2/0 aluminum wire through 3"pvc

Customer Question

i am running 4/0 4/0 4/0 2/0 aluminum wire through 3"pvc conduit 450' with know bends---can you give me some tips on how to pull this through
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just getting started
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Electrical
Expert:  George Smith replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I’m new to just answer so please be patient with me. I am a licensed Electrician. I think I can help you, as I have over 40 years of electrical experience.

Do you have access to a tugger or can you rent one ?

Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer, a tugger is a pulling system with a motor, gearbox, and reel...not likely to be available in many places, even rental stores.

There are other systems commonly used by those in the trade that may not be readily available such as blowing & vacuum systems. You are limited to one of these types of systems if the run of conduit is installed and buried as the longest fish tapes are only 225 ft in length. You cannot push anything longer into a pipe especially one that large.

If you have a straight run as you described, you could thread a pull rope into each piece of conduit as you put it together if not yet installed.

Alternatively, a pull box could be installed at the halfway point.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you