Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I was screwing my new light bulbs into my chandelier and it

Customer Question

i was screwing my new light bulbs into my chandelier and it popped and all the lights went. Is there a fuse or something. Hit the main switch circuit breaker to no avial
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: I put this chandelier in about 10 years ago. This happened once before and the electrician said it was the fuse...but I don't know where the fuse is? It's a dimmable chandelier
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: cant think of anything else . Do I take the switch plate off?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Most likely either a loose connection inside the chandelier or a loose wire splice at the ceiling box house wires. I recommend to perform a viual inspection on the wires.

2) Remove all of the light bulbs and reset the branch circuit breaker. Then insert 1 bulb at time. Do any of the lights work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
where is the branch circuit breaker.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

1) Inside the main electrical panel. The branch breaker should be labeled with the room location where the chandelier is located.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that did not work unfortunately. Flipped all the switches in the panel - swapped out bulbs. Still not working.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

1) Drop the light fixture and perform a visual inspection for loose wires or faulty splices. Turn the breaker OFF prior to dropping the fixture.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok...that's beyond my level - 10 foot ceilings!This same thing happened once before. Same popping, same situation. I am trying to put in antique edison style dimmable bulbs. 120 voluts with 370 lumens - 60 watts. Can you tell me if these are appropriate? Putting into an 8 bulb Restoration Hardware chandelier.I think I need someone to come out...bummer!
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

1) Dimmable light bulbs and the light bulb types must be compatible with the dimmer type.

2) Try installing regular old fashioned incandescent bulbs and see if they work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
bulbs are dimmable. Reg bulbs no go either.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

1) Even though the bulbs are dimmable, they may not be compatible with the dimmer switch.

2) Drop the fixture and look for loose wire or a loose socket.

Or you will need to contact a local licensed electrician.

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Any other questions?