Sam Irvin
Sam Irvin, Electrician
Experience:  Electrician WG-2805-10 at US Air Force, 45th Civil Engineering Sq.
16916066

I have a IIIWoods in-wall 7-day digital timer 59018 that has

Customer Question

I have a IIIWoods in-wall 7-day digital timer 59018 that has worked well for several years. I noticed the porch light did not come on last night. When I checked the settings, all I see is all eights. I tried the Reset button. The screen goes all blank when I engage the reset button but returns to all eights when I release the button. Any suggestions about what the problem is or what I can do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just noticed the problem for the first time last night.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible, I will do the work myself.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have another timer (different brand) that I use to turn the lights on and off in the living room. Last Wednesday, the timer was not working and when I checked the setting, it appeared that everything had reverted to default settings. I reprogrammed the timer and it is working fine now. It strikes me as a big coincident that two timers have problems at the same time.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sam Irvin replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I can help you with this. Unfortunately it sounds like the timer is shot. There may have been a power surge or lightning strike that affected the timers and one survived but the other did not. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I would purchase a replacement timer and install it.