ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have a harbor breeze fan with a light kit that is broken

Customer Question

I have a harbor breeze fan with a light kit that is broken and I am trying to replace it, the Harbor Breeze branded replacement kit I bought has a black wire and white wiire, the original light kit has a single white wire with a "plug" on the end. can I rewire that and connect a black & a white?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: this is the second replacement kit I have bought and both have the same B&W wires to connect
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

Expert:  ProGrade replied 17 days ago.

There should be another wire with a connector just like the one found on the white wire. This wire should be black or blue. If you find the other one it is permissible to cut those connectors off strip a short portion of the installation off and use wire nuts to connect the wires to your new fixture. They would connect what to what and the black from your light fixture do a black or blue on the fan. This cannot be just any black or blue it has to be the one that was dedicated to the other light. Do not disconnect any of the other existing wiring in the fan.

You cannot connect both wires to the light where that you found. That's the neutral but there must be a hot wire for the light to work.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help until this is resolved. Thank you