Sam Irvin
Sam Irvin, Electrician
Experience:  Electrician WG-2805-10 at US Air Force, 45th Civil Engineering Sq.
16916066

I have a Bremas CY0178252000 selector switch that operates a

Customer Question

I have a Bremas CY0178252000 selector switch that operates a home made elevator I have two of the same switches operating the same elevator, switch 1 works, switch 2 used to work but just recently stopped working, when switch 2 is turned to up or down all the motor does is hum. I'm thinking that thier may be a bad contact in the switch. Any idea what may be going on?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It just started within the last few days
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I have worked with motors and controls in the past.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Thats about it
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sam Irvin replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I can help you with this. You may be right about the switch. Can you try swapping the switches out to see if 1 works in place of 2? That way you could be sure it's the switch.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for the response. I will try that latter on next week as I am not at the location where the switch is and won't be returning until Tuesday. I will get back with you when I swap the switches around.
Expert:  Sam Irvin replied 16 days ago.

ok sounds like a plan.

Expert:  Sam Irvin replied 12 days ago.

Hello, were you able to swap the switches?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sam, I was not able to switch out the switches due to the fact that whoever originally installed the switches didn't leave enough slack in the wiring and I would have to open up the wall to feed more slack into the outlet box. The person I am doing the work for is willing to pay to purchase a new switch and switch it out with the old switch. They will be ordering the new switch soon. I can keep you up to date once the new switch comes in and is installed if you would like.Terry Laurent
Expert:  Sam Irvin replied 4 days ago.

Sure that would be fine.