Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

A harbor breeze ceiling fan universal remote install, 30

Customer Question

Hello?
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: A harbor breeze ceiling fan universal remote install
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 30 mins
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, just putting in a new remote receiver, but my fan only had a white, black, and green coming from it...
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many and what are the wire colors on the receiver? 1 black and 1 white on 1 side of the receiver and 1 black, 1 white and 1 blue on the other side of the receiver?

2) Does the fan contain a light kit?

3) How many house wires and the house wire colors in the ceiling box?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The receiver is set just as u said. White and black 1 side. White, black, blue other side.The fan has a light.I have two sets of wires coming out of the ceiling. One set is black(hot), white, ground. Other set is black, white, red, ground.Fan/light has black, white and green
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Are the house black and red wires spliced together or was one of these wires capped off and not being used?

2) Is there a wall switch that can over ride the remote? If so, back the switch out from the wall box and tell me the quantity and wire colors on the wall switch?

3) Can you provide me with the model number of the fan?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correction... the set with the red wire has the hot black.The model for the harbor breeze fan just says - ceiling fan A. File # is - E185585.I'll check the switch now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess I can't send a pic of the switch. But the main switch that controls the fan and light just has 2 black wires.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Actually u did get it. Ok. The middle switch controls the ceiling fan and light. The left switch controls some recessed lights in the room. The right switch does nothing
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is the fan and ceiling
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the pic's

1) I am unable to locate the installation manual and the model number on Lowe's website.

2) Since the switch contains 2 black wires, 1 of the ceiling black is the switched loop wire that will splice to the fan hot.

3) Did you remove all of the ceiling splices?

4) Any chance that you have a 2 wire lead AC volt tester or a multimeter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did remove the splices. I can't locate any other model numbers on the fan. This fan had a remote already but it was warped, although it did work.I don't have a multimeter or an account tester. Just an AC volt detector.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

OK, thanks.

1) Can you look at the instruction manual and see if they state to splice the receiver black and blue together to the fan black?

2) I'm thinking that the ceiling red is the hot wire which was probably spliced to 1 of the ceiling black wires and the other ceiling black is the switched loop wire that extends from the wall switch. Do you remember which ceiling wires were spliced together?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It does not say what to do if the fan has no blue wire, unfortunately.And I don't exactly remember which wires spliced... Probably shoulda taken a picture before separating.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Yes, always a good idea to take a picture or label the wires prior to disconnecting splices.

Since the instruction sheet does not state the splicing method from the receiver blue wire to the fan wire, you're guess is as good as mine. Possibly the receiver is not compatible with the fan?

I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board. Perhaps another electrician here has experience with this particular fan model. I don't want to provide you incorrect instructions.

No need to reply back to me. You will be notified when another electrician picks up the question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll assist you if you choose to continue. Let me know your intentions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure. I'm guessing you've read everything already from kevin?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Yes I did. Your first statement indicated that the fan only had a black, white and green wire, is that correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But the fan also used a remote that is worn out. When I opened the fan there is no receiver though... so I'm thing the receiver might be built into the fan?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

That being the case, you can't install a universal receiver in it. You need a match for the receiver in the fan body. I'll give you a link to a supplier for the replacement. If you look through the top vent holes, you'll see the receiver. You need to only make a connection with a molex connector that will be on the new receiver.

http://www.eceilingfans.com

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think I'll just give up there, but thank you. BTW, this is just a one time charge right? I'm not interested in the monthly membership thing they were trying to sell.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Sorry you're giving up. I'll send this to customer service for you.