Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

My Harbor Breeze fan has been nothing but trouble. it worked

Customer Question

my Harbor Breeze fan has been nothing but trouble. it worked fine for several weeks then it went haywire. the remote is terrible. the fan goes off in the middle of the night, comes on by itself, nothing works right. Battery is good, remote sucks. right now the remote doesn't do anything. Can you PLEASE tell me how to use the fan via the wall switch only? I don't ever want to use the remote again!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: few months
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: my handyman re-programmed the remote a couple of times and it worked for a couple weeks each time. now nothing again.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: tell me how to completely bypass the remote & i'll get my guy to do the work if it's something I can't do.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the fan is still under warranty, return it to Lowe's and get a refund. Harbor Breeze fans from Lowe's and Hampton Bay fans from Home Depot are among the 2 cheapest manufactured fans sold in the USA.

2) I recommend to purchase a Hunter brand. Much better quality than Harbor Breeze.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we bought the biggest & best with the most cfm. who's going to pay my electrician to take it down from High Ceiling? All I want is to disable the remote!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
did you leave?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

1) Doesn't matter the CFM, Harbor Breeze fans are the one of the cheapest made fans.

2) The receiver needs to be de-installed under the ceiling canopy cover or inside the fan motor housing and re-wired accordingly.

3) There is no way to disable the remote. The receiver must be de-installed.

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Any other questions?