Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I am replacing an old Wall timer & just want to put a

Customer Question

I am replacing an old Wall timer & just want to put a regular switch back in. The timer had two black wires connected to it.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I just started. I opened up the switch box. There is another switch already hooked up. I took out the timer & what I now have are the two black wires that were connected to it. There appear to be two other white wires tied off with each other and capped, and a ground wire also tied off and capped. I don't want to fool with them unless I need to.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was but if it gets too complicated or if I'm not sure I will get someone in. But I was hoping I could make this small changeout.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The other switch that is already wired appears to have a white wire hooked to it on one side. I didn't look closely at the other side but it has either one or two black wires wired to it. I can go look to be sure.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi. I'm Steve and I will be assisting you today. I've been here since 2005.

*** Please note that I cannot take a call right now*** - the site is sending you those prompts, not me. If you need phone support, I can opt out and another expert will help you.

Ok, let's see what we can do here.

Your replacement switch will have two terminals plus a ground. All you need to do is connect one of the black wires to each terminal.

That will do it.

Let me know if it does not.

Steve

Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. Did you give my suggestion a try?

Let me know.

Steve