Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

The power in one room went off. I reset all the circuit

Customer Question

The power in one room went off. I reset all the circuit breakers (none had tripped), checked the GFCI outlets an tested them. All seem to be working. Does this mean I possibly have a bad breaker?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

It is a possibility ..........when you re set did you switch the breaker ALL the way to the off position and then all the way back to the on?.............does the breaker have a liitle play in it ?..........you can try tightening the lug screw sometimes the vibration loosens them

you will need testers after that to trace where the problem lies .......these are some invaluable tools to have ........

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-110-220-VAC-Voltage-Tester-MS8900H/202520892

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Tools-Outlet-Tester-Green-MS112H/206029154

and if you have to go to the store may as well pick up the breaker you need just in case ..........you could always return it if need be

let me know when you are ready

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The breaker seems to be seated firmly in place. I turned it off and back on again to check it. Nothing has changed.How can I tell what replacement breaker to buy? It appears the room has two different breakers, 1 is a 2 phase and the other is a single breaker. Should I replace both? What should I test with the testers you sent the link to and in what order?
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

there is information on the breaker itself on the type and brand........if not take down the information on your panel box

can you take a picture of the breakers and indicate which are bad.............there are two that don't work?

How to send a photo or file instructions

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The circuits are the ones labeled REC and REC Mast Basement
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

these are 3 circuits here .........you are telling me all three are not working?.............is there a GFI on any of these circuits?........and what is knocked out?..............lights ?........outlets?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The REC is not working. The Master Bedroom, with the exception of one wall socket, is working. The basement is working.
There are two GFI outlets but they must not be on the same circuit as the REC room because both of those outlets are fully functional and not tripped.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

even so the GFI may have gone bad on the LOAD or downcurrent on the circuit.........that plug in tester would sure come in handy to see

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is still early here so I will pick up the testers when the Hone Depot opens. If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that one of the GFI outlets may have gone bad? If so, what am I looking for when I test the outlet? There is a nightlight plugged into one of them and it is still lit. Is there a fault indicator in one of the testers that will tell me if the GFI circuit is bad? Would the outlets work even if the GFI was tripped?
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

are you on the west coast?...............what we could do now if you want is shut the breaker to the GFI........make SURE the nightlight goes out meaning it is on the breaker you shut........then open it up and hard wire black to black and white to white with wire caps and see if the dead outlets get powered up again

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Central Time zone so the Home Depot opens at 8. I guess my question is really around what you suspect the issue is. It sounds like you believe the GFI outlet(s) are probably the issue rather than the circuit breaker. And I am looking for your expertise to tell me if the testers you recommend are going to provide me the insight to confirm your suspicion and then replace those outlets to solve the problem.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

the thing of it is with electricity.......... it has to be traced so we can't say for sure its the breaker or the GFI.............it could be a loose or snapped wired..........with the plug in it will tell you where the fault lies..............and could you give me some kind of insight as to how this went from working to non working......for examples.....power outtage?..........some work being done?...........did someone plug something in and it sparked?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We were watching the football game and the power just went out in that room. There was no work being done in the house or other activities.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

well we can get that tester going or bypass the GFI

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll pick up the testers and then test the outlets. I am assuming that I am looking for the GFI to switch off the current when the tester is plugged in, correct? I need to know what I am looking for the tester to show me.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

if you look on that link it has indicator lights on what could be wrong with it ............once you plug it into a what you think is the next outlet after the GFI it will tell us if anything is awry ............the night light you have plugged into the GFI will go out when you shut the right breaker

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both GFI plugs have testers on them with an indicator light. When I push the test button the night light goes out and the little yellow light indicating a fault comes on. When I push the button to reset it then the nightlight comes on and the yellow light goes off.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

you need to follow what I am telling you ................what you just told me has no bearing on what we need to do to test the circuit ............I would rather not do this by phone but I don't want have to keep repeating what I am typing......read back over it

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, purchased the testers and tested. Here is what I found: GFI Outlets are functional. The outlet tester came back as Correct for both GFI outlets. When the outlet was in test mode there was no electrical current. When I switched it back on it had 110 volts. I also tested the circuit breaker with a non contact voltage tester and it showed the circuit breaker with power. When I switched the circuit breaker off it showed no current so it would seem the breaker is functioning.
I am now ready to bypass the GFI outlets.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

before you do the bypass ........go to each outlet in the rooms and see if there is any deficiencies when you plug it in............start with the TV...........do you have a surge protector on that?.....if you do there might be a little reset button on that .......and what else is plugged into it?

Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie