ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have questions about a Honeywell 12 kw home power backup

Customer Question

I have questions about a Honeywell 12 kw home power backup generator,,Think this is the wrong place.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: about a week,,just bought it,,and set it up,, It runs after a fashion but seems
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: unstable when I put a load on it ..like a simple coffee maker,,may cause it to go unstable and chock so to speak,,and stop,,
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I plan to do the work myself,,retired electronic tech,,,not sure what the other relevant info would be,,not sure how to best describe it..
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it may be relevant that I did not setup the generator yet for auto transfer and switching when utility power goes out,,
as for one,,right now I have not utility power,,I am just using the generator in manual mode..
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not real sure that I have the ground and neutral blocks connected right,,inside the transfer box,,I connected the neutral and
the ground connection terminal block,,as they were connected in the generator,,and the system seems to work better
with the connection made in the transfer box,,but not sure the manuals show doing this..
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
best to respond via. email.,,I am at a Starbucks,,and they will close at about 8:30 tonight,,and also my cell phone cannot
take apps,,and my voice mail box is full in case I do not pick up the phone,,and I would not know you phone number if
you call,,I would not know it is you..
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Starbucks is closing now and kicking me out,,I can check my email later,,Tom
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

Hi Tom welcome to justanswer.com

Would it be possible to take some pictures of the connections you have questions about and upload them here?

Are you saying that currently you are using power directly from the generator and not from the transfer switch?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lot of stuff going on right now,,I might try to get back on this later,,but I have found some things,,
and the generator function has improved,,one,,I got a new a better 26 size battery,,,the original one,
it seems was not 525 CCA, ,,this one is,,and system works much better,
was able to run some heavier loads,,and the system maintained,
also,,I had jumpered the main battery to my car battery with the car running..
and this seems to help at first,,,but then,,after warm up,,it may be that the car charging
in bucking the generator charging and causing idle hunting..I am making a run to Sacramento right now,,pre-occupied,..but the generator is close to working
good now..
also,,,there might be the factor of a cold propane tank,,right now,,at times near 30 degrees F...
for now..have to run..Tom
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

It would be a good idea, I think, to use a small batterry charger to keep the generator battery charged if you cannot get a circuit to the built-in battery charger. This would prevent use of you car for charging. The generator battery has to be charged while in use or it slowly drains its charge. There is not an alternator to keep it charged, only a built-in battery charger that requires a power source.

As far as the cold propane tank, your propane tank has to be large enough to vaporize the liquid propane stored in it or it will freeze rendering your fuel supply useless. If a larger tank is not available, two or three smaller tanks connected together and all turned on would help a bit in cod weather. Perhaps using some of the exhaust heat directed toward the tank could help but I can see where too much heat could be a problem.

Let me know if I can help.

Thank you for the update

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am making progress with this,,thanks for the tips on the battery and propane tanks,,
I have re-thought the wiring as to neutral and ground,,and make changes to get aligned with
the installation manuals,,I think it is now per manuals,,,,one thing that triggered me off on this,,was
I went to record the model and serial numbers ,etc,,and on the boiler plate I found the reference,,
it said "floating neurtral" and I think I was tying neutral to ground,so I re-wired,,to make the system l like the manuals,,
and it ran for a bit,,but then it acted like it ran out of fuel,,so I have purchased more propane,,but found that
there was like half a gallon in the tank yet,,so not sure why it stopped running,,and the batter now seems to be
too low to crank,,but I am thinking of hooking the battery to the car,,and think that it will then start and run,,
and then I will check to see about load handling with the improved wiring..Tom
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the update Tom.

Remember, especially in very cold weather, there has to be enough liquid in the tank and enough heat for the liquid to vaporize, else, the machine will not get fuel.

The neutral connection - grounded or floating - should not effect how the unit runs but can effect your safety. This is a long standing discussion that you can read about for weeks on end online.

If your application runs through a transfer switch and connects to a panel that is also fed from a utility the neutral will not be floating at the main panel. At all main panels, neutral & ground are bonded together.

Let me know if you have any other questions and please rate my service before leaving the site.

Thank you.