Sam Irvin
Sam Irvin, Electrician
Experience:  Electrician WG-2805-10 at US Air Force, 45th Civil Engineering Sq.
16916066

I have a vintage 1950's Westinghouse fan. It's in pretty bad

Customer Question

I have a vintage 1950's Westinghouse fan. It's in pretty bad shape so I can't tell where to tie in the new cord. I have a new ungrounded cord. I have the hot and neutral from the wall socket- a rotary switch which appears to have a red, black, and green? wires- then a two wire cord from the motor. Inside the fan there is also a plate that Has two wires coming out of it. Can you help me wire this back together
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just started working on it last night
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

What are the colors from the fan motor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not sure if they have been retired but from the fan motor there is a three wire cord green, yellow, and orange. Yellow and green are the only ones used
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Rewired
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm going to opt out. Not sure with the wire colors given.

Expert:  Sam Irvin replied 4 months ago.

Hello I might be able to help you. Do you have an ohmmeter or multi-meter to test the wires with? Also, could you take a picture of the wiring area and upload it here?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have ohmed out the wires on the rotary switch but nothing else. Looks like I have L1-L1+L2-Off.Pictures attached. 1 is the switch, 2 is the plate with 2 black wires, and the third shows all of the wires, the one on the inside is from the motor. The only one not show is the two wire that comes in the back that has the plug for the wall

Ok stand by while I review this. Is there a little plate on the fan with a model number or anything?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is a Westinghouse
Cat.No.12 LA4
Part NO. Y-4693Volts 115
Cycles 60
Amps. .7

Thank you. Where is the green, yellow, and orange cord that you posted about earlier?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I replaced it. It is now the cord you see on the inside of the fan coming from the motor.

Oh ok. I'm not sure what the plate with wires is so I will have to do a little research into it. I notice some numbers on it but can't make them out. Can you see what the whole number is?

Have you ohmed the plate? I'm thinking it could be a resistor for low speed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm guessing you are correct. The numbers are Y28664-1

Ok I have confirmed that the plate is a speed resistor for the low speed function. I have attached a diagram for hookup

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** sense to me now. My low speed resistor must be shot, it works on high speed but won't in the low speed position.

Are you restoring this fan? Check out this guy's restored fan just like yours:http://www.afcaforum.com/forum5/37725.html

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate me. Thanks!