Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Our outside lamp post has stopped working. At first we

Customer Question

Our outside lamp post has stopped working. At first we thought it needed new light bulbs but that didn't do that trick. So we thought maybe the plug inside the garage went bad so we replaced that but again nothing. So then we moved onto to remove the eye sensor and wire the lights up to the main wires coming out of the ground, still nothing. So we traced the eletrical line back into the garage trying to see if we could see any splits in the line or any cracks but since its underground we can't follow to much of it. We have tested the the power out at the pole and inside the garage. There is no power going out to the pole. We trying plugging it in to other places in the garage but so such luck. Does the under ground line need to be replaced?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a multimeter to take voltage measurements at the lamp post and photo sensor and at the source of the circuit? If you have a multimeter, does it also have a continuity feature?

2) Is the lamp post wired to the LOAD side of a GFCI receptacle which may have tripped? Have you checked the garage and/or exterior GFCI receptacles to confirm they have not tripped?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We do not have that type of meter, we just have a basic one that tells us if something has power or not.
The lamp post is not connected to a GFCI. The electrical cable that comes in the house from the lamp post went up the side of the garage door and into a converter that was plugged into a regular outlet.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 days ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) In order to troubleshoot the problem, you either need a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or better yet, a multimeter.

2) A non-contact tester or a plug-in cube tester will not be able to pinpoint the problem.

3) The voltage also needs to be confirmed at the point of origin where it is connected inside the garage....ie...... probably wired to a garage receptacle.

4) If the lamp post has a photo eye sensor, the sensor needs to be temporarily removed and voltage needs to be measured at the lamp post directly from the underground wires.

Get a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or a multimeter and we can continue............Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 days ago.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...................Kevin:)