Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Trying to connect a Bryan double pole double throw switch to

Customer Question

Trying to connect a Bryan double pole double throw switch to switch house power to generator power for my garage heater. Always get one side to work and other side pops circuit breaker on power source. what's wrong or am I just stupid?
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 days ago.

Are you saying that the generator trips? If so it's because it is GFCI protected and the bonding of the house service. You need to float the ground from the generator at its connection.

I need to suggest connecting the generator to the switch and not at the service panel with a means of disconnecting the utility power is a violation and a danger to you and anyone working on a repair by the utility for power restoration. You need a generator breaker sized for your generator and an interlock assembly to allow for only the main breaker or the generator breaker being on, never both at the same time.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Good advice. I'll let you know how I Make it work. Thsnks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 days ago.

Go to the link below for complete info.

http://www.interlockkit.com

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 days ago.

Another site.

http://natramelec.com