Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I installeda on and off breaker box to my generator then

Customer Question

good morning i installeda on and off breaker box to my generator then connected the wires to a fifty amp breaker.. in panel box cut main breaker off cut on generator but no power is going to panel what did i do wrong
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: a couplea months
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: well wires already ran to panel box from outside to onand off switch to generator
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

I don't understand exactly what you did and why. To connect a generator for back up power it only needs to be directly wired to the service equipment. A 50A breaker with an interlock assembly to prevent both utility power and generator power from being on at the same time is required.