Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I like have an outdoor outlet that has no power and I

Customer Question

I like have an outdoor outlet that has no power and I tripped the circuit and reset all outlets and don't know why I don't have power. It was working before
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just started having the problem it was working before this
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was trying to I thought it would be a simple fix
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No other than it's the only outlet not working both inside and outside the home
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the circuit breaker a GFCI type or do you have another GFCI that is protecting the receptacle which may have tripped? Have you checked all GFCI's in the home? One of them may have tripped.

2) What is the approx age of the home?

3) Do you have a multi-meter to confirm voltage at the dead receptacle?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The house is five years old and I reset all the GFCI and I don't have a multi meter just a basic voltage tester
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is a photo of the outlet
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) In order to confirm the problem, you need a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester sold at any home improvement store for less than $30.00

2) Most likely the problem is a loose wire termination or a faulty wire splice.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The outlet was working before and what do I need to do to fix the faulty splice here is a picture of the breaker
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

You need a multi-meter and some patience to troubleshoot the problem. This is often not a simple 5 minute fix and you're done. You need the proper testing instrument to measure voltage at this receptacle and at upstream receptacles.

No other way to confirm and correct the problem. Without a multi-meter, you are wasting time and it becomes a guessing game. Get a meter and we can continue.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was just curious why it was working and now isn't I apologize
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Problems such as this are often loose wire terminations either in the dead receptacle or the working upstream receptacle. In order to confirm which wire is loose, you need a multi-meter.

Make a Home Depot run and purchase a multi-meter for around $30 or less and we can continue. If not obtaining a meter, then you need to call in a local licensed electrician to troubleshoot and correct the problem.

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

1) In the interim, you can try the following Wiggle Procedure as this may help locate the problem:

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Once you obtain a meter, take the following voltage measurements as this will indicate the problem wire on the circuit:

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)