Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am working on a boat lift motor wiring hook up. I was

Customer Question

I am working on a boat lift motor wiring hook up. I was asked to check out a lift and when the command on the switch was motioned up or down its wanting to go up. its a 1 hp.120/ 240 weg motor and it was converted several months ago from a 3/4 hp 120. I have 19.47 amps consistent to the centrifuge switch but the wiring diagrams I am finding online show power supply direct to the motor. Right now the power supply is to the centrifuge switch then to the motor from switch. Is ther a way to do it correctly with power supply to the switch first
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
At the motor, the red and black appear to be 16 Gage, the yellow, blue, orange and white appear to be 12 Gage multi strain.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was greeted by a professional that appeared ready to react. Not sure what happened... Got a big time dead line on this one and would appreciate your efforts to resolve. Thanks
Expert:  Matthew McDevitt replied 3 days ago.

Hello I think i can help. Does the motor have a name plate on it? Usually you group the wires together based on the voltage and such. It sounds like this motor is hooked up wrong.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have already fixed the problem. Someone before me had increased the amperage to 230 to try to maintain a higher amperage. Once I ruled out several issues I realized that they had not increased the wire size nor did the follow the wiring diagram where one of the hots goes to the motor and the other with the neutral goes to the switch. Then the switch controls which side is hot on motor rotation ( CW or CCW). I have created a color code diagram to post on google in the near future. sorry but it took too long for the response, had to get it working.