Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

A 120/240 vac phase converter to is to supply three 8 amp

Customer Question

A 120/240 vac phase converter to is to supply three 8 amp motors. According to the NEC what should the primary conductors be protected at?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I need to know what the conductors should be rated at.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

What is the amp rating or wattage of the converter? And when you say that it is 120/240, is that a three wire connection - 2 hots and a neutral?

Let me know.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No information is given in the converter. I edited the question but I'm looking for conductor rating and not ocp. This is a question that stumped me and it was asked with only that info.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe the answer lies in sect 455 of the nec under conductors. Just not shure how to put this together.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 months ago.

I cannot answer the question without knowing the rating of the converter. I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other experts to chime in.

Hold on.