Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Can I use the same wire source at the push button garage

Customer Question

Can I use the same wire source at the push button garage door opener to power a door bell--since I don't want to run new wiring where I wish to relocate the doorbell button?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: No one consulted. House is about 45 years old and the garage door opener is about 10.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I asked the above question and was conversing and somehow lost the connection.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just want to run two wires from the mounted garage door opener to a new door bill about a foot away to power the door bell-to avoid the need for rewiring.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Unfortunately, separate wiring is required since these are two separate applications and the wiring cannot be shared.

2) A doorbell runs off of a 24 volt transformer. A garage door opener works off of a 120 volt ceiling receptacle. Thus two different power sources.

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)