Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I rent the bottom floor of a house and many of the outlets

Customer Question

I rent the bottom floor of a house and many of the outlets are too big. What i mean is that the plugs easily fall out of the sockets. is there some easy fix?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 days ago.

yes there is.....with your fingers or a pair of pliers GENTLY spreaad the prongs on your plug ever so slightly..........either in or out with both .........give it a try if it still has the same problem spread them a little more ..........please let me know.........we should test the outlets for proper voltage too.......but there is no hurry for that

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
well that's interesting. thanks. will try and get back to you tomorrow.
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 days ago.

Thank you .............happy hunting

eddie

Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 days ago.

This is Prograde. I do not agree with the other expert. The cords fall out because the outlets are worn. The proper and safe method of repair is to replace the worn outlets.

There are several manufacturers of electrical receptacle tension testers.

It is not acceptable to modify the the prongs on the connectors and can be a fire hazard.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Eddie, I tried what you said but it didn't work well. It made it a little more snug but still fell out. Prograde, I agree that they should be replaced but since I don't own this place, I don't know that I should spend money on that. Any idea what that would cost? There are about 10 outlets that are faulty.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 days ago.

Because it's a rental and since it's a hazard, perhaps the landlord will spring for the replacements...they should. If not and you opt for DIY, the outlets are app $2 each or if you hire a professional, as much as $35-$65 each outlet in some areas.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is it hard to replace myself? My landlord not to inclined to help.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 days ago.

The difficulty is medium. If you move the wires one at a time, it will keep you out of trouble but its basically, white wires on one side (the silver screwsl and black wires on the other (the brass screws), green or bare if present goes on rhe green screw. By the time you are done you will have the hang of it. If you run into any problems, shoot me a question (and a picture is always helpful). I woyld adk for a little discount on rent if you save him/her this much by DIY.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Last question: am I supposed to shut all electric off first?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 days ago.

I do not recommend trying it with power, yes be certain the circuit you are working on is off. Check each outlet with a working table lamp before working on it.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank u. Great advice.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 days ago.

You are very welcome. You can do this. Let me know if you hit a bump in the road. Glad to help.

Expert:  Eddie replied 7 days ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
NO problem Eddie, i just have a question for prograde. Sir, if i close this file and begin to work on the outlets, how could i contact you for help if this file is closed?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
the question can pertain to you as well Eddie.
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 days ago.

I want you to understand that I will provide the simplest, easiest and most affordable solution until I can get a read by our correspondence if we need to go in another direction by the degree of difficulty for you or an alternate resolution ..........if you recall I wanted you to test for proper voltage and connection for each receptacle and we would have gotten to that if someone hadn't been so impetuous

but you are welcome to request either one of us when you next open a subscription page

Thank you it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>
Expert:  ProGrade replied 4 days ago.

It would be better to leave the question open. You can rate my service and close it when you are done & satisfied.

My apologies for the late reply, someone had the question locked and I could not respond. Just let me know if you have any questions

Expert:  Eddie replied 2 days ago.

.