Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I recently changed out 6 outlets and three switches in my

Customer Question

I recently changed out 6 outlets and three switches in my bedroom. I made the mistake of not checking the outlets prior to this to make sure they were good. After reapplying power and testing the outlets with a wintric circuit tester, all outlets are showing a dim ground light on the tester. Checked other outlets on different circuits and the tester itself is good.
With a fluke Meter, I'm getting 130v between neutral and ground and 115v between hot and ground. Something strange I noticed is that with a surge protector plugged in, I'm only getting 90v between hot and ground.
I opened up all 6 outlets and a fan/light fixture and all connections seem to be connected. There's also a smoke detector in the room but this ground is not connected,which is the same for the other smoke detectors in the house.
Any recommendations on other things to check?
On a side not, 130v seems too high to me but I checked different outlets on different circuits and they all read about 130. Anything I could check on my end? I put in a trouble call with power company to see if a voltage regulator or something else possibly went bad.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One new update. I went to auto-v Liz function on the fluke and I'm reading open between hot and ground.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Your description indicates a bad neutral connection. You must have 2 circuits that share a neutral and the result of a high voltage reading is caused by loads without a neutral which cause a high reading on one circuit and a low reading on the other. Check all neutral connections.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would the bad neutral cause the open ground in the 6 outlets? This is the only circuit with this problem.Or are you saying that the bad neutral will cause the 130v? I checked 8 outlets on 8 different circuits and they're all reading high.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

If on that many circuits you need to check the neutral at the panel. You may either have a bad connection on the service neutral there or outside on the utility's line.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gotcha. What about the open grounds on the one circuit? There's no gfci and appears to be just the 6 outlets, 3 switches, fan/light fixture, and a smoke detector. All grounds appear to be connected except on the smoke detector, which appears to be normal.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Check the panel, all neutrals and grounds originate there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Reading at the main breaker, I'm getting 127v. Sounds like it's on the power companies end.Inside of the breaker box, I don't see any open grounds. Is there anyway to isolate the ground that goes to that specific circuit?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Call the utility and have them make a trouble call. Tell them you checked the interior wiring.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could the open ground be on their end too? Or is there something else I should check in the box?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

The neutral and the ground are common in the panel. The service grounding may or may not be good if is dependant on the neutral. There are several was to ground a service, some better than others. Call the utility.