ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have 480 3ph and need 240 3ph. What should I do? 1 hr,

Customer Question

I have 480 3ph and need 240 3ph. What should I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1 hr
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: unlessI need an electrician
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

Is this a motor or transformer?

Csn I get the make & model number?

Thank you

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm have a new machine that came in 240v vs 480v 3ph. I need to run it and only have 480 in the room.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Machine plate says 27 amps.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 14 days ago.

OK, if it is not reconfigurable to 480 (most but not all machines are) and you do not have 480 available, this can be resolved by addid a transformer to boost rhe voltage.

Are you certain thatit can't be reconfigured?

If you can take a picture of the nameplate and upload it I should be able to tell.

I will need that info to recommend a transfer if it cannot be changed.

Either way, we should able to make it work

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have a supply of 480 3ph at a disconnect. The new machine uses 240 3ph. Just wanted to clarify it. The new machine is not accessible to me. It's 20 miles from my location.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 14 days ago.

Stepping down to 240 is good as well. I cannot determine a course of action or make a recommendation without the nameplate info.

If you know what make & model it is I might be able to find some preliminary info online but ultimately, I will have to have the information from the nameplate.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
here is some info from the Graco web site.
Therm-O-Flow 200
Displacement Pump Effective Area: 1.24 sq in
Volume per Cycle: 11.7 cu in
Pump Cycle: 21/1 gal
Maximum Air Input Pressure (Ram): 125 psi
Maximum Pump Operating Temperature: 400 °F
Air Inlet Size: 1/2 npsm(f)
Pump Fluid Outlet Size
1 in. npt(f)
Wetted Parts
Carbon steel; brass; chrome, zinc, and nickel plating; 304, 316, 440, and 17–4 PH grades of stainless steel; alloy steel; ductile iron; PTFE
Weight
1200 lb
Displacement Pump Weight
81 lb
Maximum fluid working pressure
NXT 2200
2300 psi
NXT 3400
3000 psi
NXT 6500
3000 psi
Air Motor Piston Effective Area
NXT 2200
28.3 sq in
NXT 3400
44.2 sq in
NXT 6500
84.5 sq in
Heated Hoses
309160
Power Requirements
Compressed Air: 25–50 scfm (typical)
Voltage (as selected): 220/240 V, 3-phase, 50/60 Hz, 380/400 V, 3-phase, 50/60 Hz, 470/490 V, 3-phase, 50/60 Hz, 575 V, 3-phase, 50/60 Hz
Peak Consumption:With standard melt grid: 24.5 kVa, With mega-Flo melt grid: 27.5 kVa, With smooth melt grid: 24.5 kVa
*Includes drum melt grid, pump, and a 5 kVa transformer for the 230 V hoses and accessories
Expert:  ProGrade replied 14 days ago.

So far it is looking much better. With this information, there is enough to know that it is possible that the unit may only need to be reconfreconfigured for the lowerlower voltage. Again though, the only way to be certain is to get a picture of the nameplate. I wish it was different. I have to have the data from the unit. In the meantime, I can make a recommendation on a step-down transformer in the event that it is needed but please DO NOT purchase a transformer that you may not need. The only way I recommend purchasing a transformer before I get the nameplate picture is IF you have to have the machine ASAP (like this week) AND if the supier agrees that you can return the transformer if it is unused.

Working

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
here is a link http://www.graco.com/us/en/products/sealants-and-adhesives/therm-o-flow-200.html
Expert:  ProGrade replied 14 days ago.

Thank you but I have to have the data from your specific machine, it could have options not covered under the general specifications to determine whether you actually need a transformer or need an electrician to reconfigure the wiring.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
if we assume it requires 24kva of 240 3ph what size transformer would I need to support it?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 14 days ago.

Without the nameplate data, I recommend a 45 kva 480 x 240 3-phase step-down transformer